A City issued business licence is required, on an annual basis, by any person or persons who wish to begin or continue operating a business in Salmon Arm. A business means carrying on a commercial or industrial undertaking of any kind or nature, or providing professional, personal or other services for the purpose of gain or profit.
Applications and Guides
The following are the most common bylaws for business licensing.
- The Business Licences Bylaw (PDF) regulates businesses, business activities and persons engaged in business.
- The Fee for Service Bylaw (PDF) established the business license fees.
- The Intermunicipal Business Licence Agreement Bylaw (PDF) regulates mobile businesses. These business licences are available for the Okanagan-Similkameen corridor for the participating communities. In addition to a regular business licence, all eligible mobile businesses can obtain a mobile business licence for a fee of $150, allowing them to work in any of the participating communities. A mobile business is defined as a contractor business.
- The Zoning Bylaw (PDF) regulates whether business can occur on a parcel of land and, if permitted, the type of business that can occur. Home occupations, as defined in the Zoning Bylaw, are permitted in some zones.
ATTENTION MOBILE BUSINESSES
The City of Salmon Arm has entered into a licensing program for mobile businesses within the Okanagan-Similkameen corridor.This program is an expansion of a previous program for the construction trades of the North Okanagan and now includes most mobile businesses.
In addition to a regular business licence, starting January 01, 2008, all eligible mobile businesses can obtain a Mobile Business Licence for a fee of $150, allowing them to work in any of the communities listed below.
|Central Okanagan Regional District||Merritt||Salmon Arm|
|Lake Country||Princeton||West Kelowna|
Businesses that are not resident in one of the Participating Municipalities, may apply for a Mobile Business Licence at any one of the Participating Municipalities. This Participating Municipality will also require you to purchase their Municipal Business Licence prior to the issuance of the Mobile Business Licence.
Excluded and Ineligible Businesses
- The following business types meet the definition of a mobile business but are specifically excluded in the Bylaw from applying for a MBL. These businesses will continue to apply for a separate business licence in each municipality in which they operate.
- Vehicles for hire (taxis, limousines, buses)
- Social escort services
- Body rub services
- The following business types are examples of businesses that do not meet the definition of mobile business and are not eligible for an MBL. They will continue to apply for a separate business licence in each municipality in which they operate.
- Businesses that sell goods/services to clients from the same location (e.g.: fruit stands/trucks, mobile stores, flea markets, carnivals, horse-drawn carriage rides, trade shows, concession stands).
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Customer Service Center
Salmon Arm City Hall
500 – 2 Avenue NE
Salmon Arm BC V1E 4N2