A City issued business licence is required, on an annual basis, by any person or persons who wish to begin or continue operating a business in Salmon Arm. A business means carrying on a commercial or industrial undertaking of any kind or nature, or providing professional, personal or other services for the purpose of gain or profit.
Applications and Guides
The following are the most common bylaws for business licensing.
- The Business Licences Bylaw (PDF) regulates businesses, business activities and persons engaged in business.
- The Fee for Service Bylaw (PDF) established the business license fees.
- The Intermunicipal Business Licence Agreement Bylaw (PDF) regulates mobile businesses. These business licences are available for the Okanagan-Similkameen corridor for the participating communities. In addition to a regular business licence, all eligible mobile businesses can obtain a mobile business licence for a fee of $150, allowing them to work in any of the participating communities. A mobile business is defined as a contractor business.
- The Zoning Bylaw (PDF) regulates whether business can occur on a parcel of land and, if permitted, the type of business that can occur. Home occupations, as defined in the Zoning Bylaw, are permitted in some zones.
ATTENTION MOBILE BUSINESSES
The City of Salmon Arm has entered into a licensing program for mobile businesses within the Okanagan-Similkameen corridor.This program is an expansion of a previous program for the construction trades of the North Okanagan and now includes most mobile businesses.
In addition to a regular business licence, starting January 01, 2008, all eligible mobile businesses can obtain a Mobile Business Licence for a fee of $150, allowing them to work in any of the communities listed below.
|Central Okanagan Regional District||Merritt||Salmon Arm|
|Lake Country||Princeton||West Kelowna|
Businesses that are not resident in one of the Participating Municipalities, may apply for a Mobile Business Licence at any one of the Participating Municipalities. This Participating Municipality will also require you to purchase their Municipal Business Licence prior to the issuance of the Mobile Business Licence.
The following Business types are Excluded Businesses for the purpose of application for an Inter-Community Mobile Business Licence under the intermunicipal business licensing scheme set out in this Bylaw.
- Social Escort services;
- Vehicles for hire (for example: taxis, limousines, passenger directed or buses);
- Body Rub services (which includes the manipulating, touching or stimulating by any means of a Person’s body or part thereof but does not include medical, therapeutic or cosmetic massage treatment given by a Person duly licensed or registered under any statute of the Province of British Columbia governing such activities or a therapeutic touch technique.);
- Those businesses selling goods or services to clients from the same location and not moving from client to client (e.g.: fruit stands/trucks, mobile stores, mobile vendors, flea markets, carnivals, trade shows, food truck vendors, etc.); and
- Boat Rental Companies.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Customer Service Center
Salmon Arm City Hall
500 – 2 Avenue NE
Salmon Arm BC V1E 4N2